Food For Thot

Making Any Progress Lately??

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"Irish dramatist & socialist (1856 - 1950)


Saturday, June 19, 2010

Men Not Doing Enough Housework Pt 2

Reference to my previous blog:

So, what's so difficult about household chores? It's all in the state of mind actually. Like Newton's 1st Law of Motion, it requires you to overcome the inertia ... and the rest is quite plain sailing really. Throw in a huge dose of perseverance and a dab of discipline Whip it up with the corect attitude and voila! You've on your way to becoming a bona fide homemaker.

Yep, attitude sure is important. 2 hours of hardcore housework is just a good workout as any sporting event you know. Vacuuming and mopping the entire floor for that amount of time had me sweating profusely. May I suggest you do that on a Sat morning; instead of going for morning jog or gym workout, dig in your vacuum cleaner and move your mop around the house. If you start @ 8 am, you'll finish before 10 and you can cool off by reading the newspapers and a cuppa coffee or tall glass of cold water. Every once in a while, pause and look around the clean, pristine floor that you've mopped and you'll get a real sense of satisfaction (only car owners and real homemakers will know what I mean and feel!). Then rub your toe on the floor just a little and appreciate how squeaky and smooth it has become.

I can't cook to save my life, but I'd made up for my family by being the chief 'Ironer' of the house. T-shirts, blouses, long-sleeve and short-sleeved shirts, ladies and gents' pants - you name it, I have glided my faithful and trustworthy steam iron through them almost every Sunday mid-morning. I've even timed myself for every category: 3 mins for t-shirts; 5 for short or long sleeve shirts and slightly longer for pants. Now the trick is not to iron the fabrics in isolation; I've always positioned my ironing board in front of the TV so that I can pause every now and then to catch a glimpse of what's happening on TV. And before you know, 90 mins have passed and the entire settee of fabrics would have been ironed and hung neatly with their respective hangers on the bamboo.

What's now to like for dedicating 3 and half hours over 2 weekend days for household chores? Let me count the ways: About 2000 calories burnt per month, S$800 saved for not engaging a maid, preserve my privacy, raise my appreciation level as a proud homeowner, a grateful and appreciative wife whose love language is acts of service. And not forgetting a clean house that is a ready showcase for any visitor who turn up unexpectedly.